Advanced Search

Recent Posts

Custom JG Bar-10 Build by NoahManceaux
July 22, 2019, 12:19:25 PM

Re: Colt M4a1 Block II by Divided_Sloth
April 05, 2019, 12:35:07 PM

Re: G&P 11.1v 2500mah 20c lipo by imthenerfherder
April 01, 2019, 06:06:34 AM

Author Topic: Hop Up units??  (Read 59 times)

Raptor

• View Profile
Hop Up units??
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:05:22 AM »
I recently went to ASGI looking for a new hop up unit for a VFC M4. The unit the teller told me to get was a MAXX CNC Hop Up. I was unsure cause the last one they recommended was a Prowin and its doesn't adjust properly. So I would like some insight on what units would be best for a VFC and is easy to use.

Spor

• Your benelovence.
  • Administrator
  • Newcomer
  • Uh, hi
    • View Profile
Re: Hop Up units??
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »
This would be a question for imthenerfherder, send him a PM if he hasn't chimed in yet.

imthenerfherder

• View Profile
Re: Hop Up units??
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 12:29:51 PM »
Hey Raptor, I've got first hand experience with on of the older gen Maxx units, the PRO version.  In my opinion, and experience, the MAXX units are overpriced for what they offer.  My intent was to flat hop a bucking, and drop it in, but even at the highest setting, zero hop with 0.20s.  That was no bueno since I use .32s.  Swapped to an untouched maple leaf bucking, and the MAXX nub, it could barely lift .25s.  The unit I have is an older one, and the newer units do seem to fix this issue, but for $60, I can get nearly 3 lonex units and it does the same thing.  I know I'm ragging on MAXX, but there are positives.  They are machined really well, the quality is great.  They are LED ready which makes tracer bbs glow brighter, for longer. 

If you're looking for just a solid hop up unit, and aren't interested in having tracer bbs, there are on par options for less than what the MAXX units go for.  I would not use any of the new prowin units instead of being cnc'd, they are now cast, which is causing issues.  Stick with Lonex, Retro arms, or even the stock unit if its not broken or having sealing issues.  My 416 upper with an edgi barrel sends .45s past 250 feet with a stock VFC hop up unit.
Thats a future me problem.